Saturday, October 10, 2009

Living and Learning

Life is what you make of it. I get that. Sometimes, it is difficult to make sense of what you've got, or what other people get.

I have a friend whose 40something uncle is dying. He is dying of cancer. Today they brought in hospice. That's end of life care, people. Like, his life is ending. He has a daughter who is 8 years old, I think, and a wife of 14 years. A year ago they were a regular family. People, just like you and me. And now, they are losing one another.

I could say it's so unfair. I could say they just don't deserve it, but who does? The best thing I can come up with is that I just don't understand it, and chances are, I never will. Are we any closer to finding a cure for cancer? October is Cancer Awareness Month, I believe. The thing I am not aware of is, how close are we?

I have been praying hard for this man and his family for some time, now. I realize that God has a plan, but it would be easier, in light of all the sadness surrounding this horrible disease, to understand what that plan is. I also realize that God doesn't always let us in on his plan... and that is one of the hardest parts about living- the not knowing what part comes next. As I have gotten older I have gradually realized that living for now and not worrying about tomorrow really is the best way to live a fullfilled life. What I am taking from this is to live, while I can. That doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye.

My heart goes out to my friend and his family. Every minute.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...