Thursday, December 10, 2009

the illusive snow day

In our neck of the woods, snow doesn't fall very often. In fact, when it does, we usually get a pretty dusting and we're all happy estatic. Last Friday, Courtney came down to stay the night. The next morning we were headed to Crossville to stay the night at her parents house. That night, as we watched the weather, Todd Howell told us there was a good chance we might see snow the next morning. There were a few choruses of "yeah, right" and "please! they'll salt the roads and we won't get anything!" Courtney and I stayed up late chatting and even looked outside before we headed to bed. No nothing.

The next morning I woke up before anyone else in the house. I mention this, because it's RARE. I'm always the last in bed and the last to rise, but for some reason, I woke up. I laid there in the quiet that is so rare in our house these days, just soaking it in. After a few minutes, I decided I was going to roll over and drift back to sleep. When I rolled over, the light coming in through the window looked funny. Wrong. Muffled. Thinking I was going to out of my mind for even checking, I slid quietly out of bed and peeked out the window.  Here is what I saw:




Smiling to myself, and taking it in quietly, I stood there a few minutes. Truly feeling like a kid who didn't have to go to school because it had snowed!

I crawled back in bed and woke Mark up. "Honey, it SNOWED!" I whispered excitedly. "What?" Mark asked me sleepily, rolling over and looking at me like I was insane. (Told you, it's rare for me to be up that early- especially before he is!) "It Snowed! Look!" I peeled back the curtains for him to see. He checked it out and with one of those sleepy smiles, He said, "MMmmm. I'm so glad I don't have to get out of bed yet."

I laughed a little, and we talked for a few minutes. Then we snuggled back in and went back to sleep. A little while later, Courtney runs in like a kid on Christmas morning, "Get up! Get Up!! It snowed!!!"

Laughing, we all ended up getting out and seeing the snow. The dogs got a chance to play, Ryan held some for the first time ever and by the time the excitement wore off, it was starting to melt.

The view from our back porch was spectacular, even if it was just a dusting.
I'm thankful for the snow, because it made me feel like a kid again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...