Tuesday, August 4, 2009

hard to breathe

I share a birthday with one of the most important men in my life, my grandfather- or Gia to me. I started calling him that as a little girl, and it never really stopped. So he's my Gia. Last week he was put in the hospital with fluid on his heart and lungs. I totally freaked out. I called Mark at work on the emergency line and pretty much scared the crap out of him I was crying so hard. He and I both left work early to run up to the hospital and check the situation out for ourselves.

Gia was already in a room when we got to the hospital and seeing him lying there, wheezing, I can't tell you what that did to me. It shook me. So the first thing I did was to find out what was going on with his body. He was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure several years ago so, (but has managed it well with diet and exercise) that on top of this fluid on his heart and lungs was pretty scary for me. They ruled out pneumonia pretty quickly. The following day they ruled out a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lungs) -which was a relief, because that scared the crap out of me. They ultimately decided he has some form of cardiac asthma, brought on my the heart failure. After several breathing treatments, steroids and inflammatory drugs, he was feeling much better, but at some point in his stay at the hospital he had developed pneumonia. GREAT! They were able to catch and treat it quickly though and he was able to come home on Sunday.

We are so glad to have him back at home now. We love you Gia.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...