Wednesday, April 20, 2011

on the radar

My friend Mandy is an amazing photographer. Have you seen her work? She's a budding photo bug, taking classes at night and being super momma by day. I'm super jealous of her! I WISH I could take some photography classes, but right now, it's just not in the cards. I'm just going to have to rely on my instincts and trial by error for the moment. : ) Anyway, I was reading Mandy's blog tonight and she was really kind of down. She was hoping to have more bookings by this point because she, like myself, is doing photo shoots for free- just to get experience. I was giving her a little pep talk comment (like she has so kindly done for me in the past) when I thought of something... What is the deal with all of these people recently who have gotten into photography? I have several friends who have found their way into the photo world, and while I am very happy for them, I can't help but wonder... WHY?

It's no small secret that I love taking pictures. Have you visited this blog before? Ha. Why I never invested in a camera (a GOOD camera) years and years ago, I have no idea. I could have saved a lot of money having throw away cameras bought and processed. When I say that I love taking pictures, I really mean it. I have 2.. YES TWO Rubbermaid Totes (the extra heavy duty kind) that are full of old pictures and negatives. I also have many, many shoe boxes full of the same thing, pictures draped over every inch of my house that will stand still and then about a zillion more on my computer here at home once I discovered the digital camera. We actually had to get a new computer because I have so many pictures I bogged our old one down. I guess saying I like to take pictures is really the understatement of my 30 years on this planet.

Sorry. Tangent.... um, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, photography. Yeah. People are taking pictures like maniacs these days. One person I am friends with on facebook is trying to start a photography business. Actually, we are not really friends and I haven't seen him since I was literally in elementary school, so hopefully he doesn't read this. Anyway, his pictures are...well.... not so cute? Oh, God. Why am I even saying this? Karma is going to strike me down... but really. WHY? I mean, I just wouldn't be proud of some of the pictures he posted.... Like, I would have deleted them from my hard drive immediately. That said, there are other folks who are clearly armatures  who are taking GREAT photos. What gives?

I was sort of hoping to turn my hobby into something that might generate a little income, and I'm not saying that I never will, but with the cameras they make these days, I think it's going to be a lot tougher. Hopefully my passion for taking pictures will overrule these other peoples mere interest in it. They are flirting with photography. I am MARRIED to it. : )

I feel like I have to add that sometimes it feels like anything that I want to do, someone else comes along and does it better..or first, really. I think I kind of want for this to be my thing...and everyone is doing it. I'm an against the flow kind of girl.. I don't like being on the bandwagon and that's the way it sort of feels. Arg....

So, I guess the thing is this..... I'm bitching. Sorry. It's late.

*TiK ToK- Kesha ('cause she's cray cray.)

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I agree! Everyone is coming out of the woodworks with photography! We talk about this in class a lot. My instructor assures us that there will be a significant difference in professional (if you call us that!) work and that of amateurs (which I guess I still am). Cameras are getting better and cheaper. Editing software is getting better and cheaper. Picnik has more on it than it used to and is quite comparable to photoshop in some areas. Back in the film days, it cost money to push the button because if you wanted to picture you HAD to print it. Now we can erase it immediately if it's not any good. I don't think there will continue to be a lot of business in family photography here before long. I could be wrong, but there are so many photogs out there. I think the bigger industry is going to be weddings. For weddings, you want someone who definitely knows what they are doing, has the equipment and can edit out a wine stain on a wedding dress!

I feel the same way about others following in my foot steps. I just happened to pick up a good camera of my best friend on the cruise and Adam and I decided we HAD to have one because of Ryne. Then when we took those 800 pictures or so of Ryne and River in November, I fell head over heels in love. Mom was the one to suggest it as a business, but I wrote her off at first. Now that I've decided to go that route, it's like everyone is! It's like in a way I like that over people are finding a love for photography, but at the same time, when they are doing better and faster, it is disheartening. I feel like every time I try something new, there is always someone who does it better and faster! And I feel like I'm left chasing my tail!
I'm hoping that tonight's class will lift my spirits a little more. And thank you so much for the support! Sometimes it feels like my voice falls on deaf ears because I'm going the road less travelled in how I go about photography!

Ellis Island said...

No deaf ears here. I'll always want to listen, because I care and respect what you have to say!

Mandy said...

Oh my goodness! We had the best class ever tonight! With your pep talk and meeting this one photography tonight, my spirits are lifted! Look up Bryan Allen. He's here in Knoxville and he's amazing! Also, look up Julie Poole (i think that's how she spells it). She does a lot of animal (dogs mostly) photography! She's local also.

Lora said...

"I feel like I have to add that sometimes it feels like anything that I want to do, someone else comes along and does it better..or first, really." THIS. Times 10. :) Good luck, girl! If I was in Kingston, my boys would pose for ya all day long! ;)

Ellis Island said...

Mandy! I am so glad you spirits are on the rise! Good for you! I will look those photographers up. : ) Yay! Lora, next time you are in, give me a call or shout. I will take some photos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...