Sunday, April 5, 2009

Brain Waves

About a week ago, I started reading a book called "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life." It's written by Doctor Daniel G. Amen. The appeal for me is dealing with Panic Disorder. I recently found a new doctor. A doctor who appears to care more about my health than how fast he can see myself and the 32 other patients waiting in his lobby. Ahem... ranting completed. This new doctor switched me from one medication to another, (which seems to be working wonderfully) and then wrote me two other prescriptions: the first for a book and the second for some relaxation DVDs. Hot Damn! This man is combining Eastern and Western Medicine! I think I'll keep him.

So far, so good. I feel much less like the rubber ball that I was; bouncing around and letting nothing make me "feel" anything. This is a huge plus. Feels nice to care again! I found the DVDs much more easily than the book. Walmart had a decent selection of Relaxation DVDs, so I picked one out and started using it. Holy Cow, it worked! The first couple of times I fell asleep. Apparently, this is a good thing because I was able to relax enough to pass out. I am getting better and better at making time for it, so hopefully this will become a more routine part of my day sometime in the very near future.

The book is FANTASTIC. I am purposefully reading it slowly. Pacing myself with it. (I have incorporated it into my "relaxation time" and this seems to be a really good thing for me.) The books' purpose is to teach people how to conquer Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger and Impulsiveness. There are at least 2 chapters devoted to each topic. The first explaining what each thing is and how it affects different parts of our brains and the second teaches ways to break through negative thought patterns and how to deal with problems more effectively. There are exercises as well to boost your brain function.

The book has really helped me better understand anxiety for myself and problems other people have with anger and impulsiveness. I won't lie, there is some medical jarnagin in the book, but I think Doctor Amen deals with these phrases and terms in a way so that they are very well explained and easier for the layperson to understand. I would recommend this book to anyone dealing with any one or all of these issues or knows someone who might be.

Here's to the power of positivity!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...