Friday, January 2, 2009

Not even Jack Daniels can fix this.

The Edible Woman, by Margaret Atwood, is all about a woman named Mariam. When we first meet her, she is working for a survey company who does testing on products before they hit the shelves. Mariam ends up engaged and afterwards, she begins having adverse reactions to food. First it's meat, then eggs, veggies, cake and so on. She has a roommate who is completely different than she is. Speaking up, and out of term, basically living her life the way she wants to. Mariam meets a man in the Laundromat who basically forces her to take a good look at her life, her future life in particular, and decide if right now is where she wants to be in 10 years.

The book is set in London in the 60's. The setting itself is what made me think I would love the book, but after I read it, I felt only the following: I wanted to eat the damn book. I thought it was boring. Maybe because we don't live in the same world that Mariam is living in. I didn't really think it was all that well developed either. I had to force it down with several glasses of whiskey, and when I was done, I felt hungover.

Perhaps you can stomach it a little better than I did.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...