Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Valentines Day with Less Chocolate and More Love

Valentines Day is one of my favorite holidays in the year. It's not because of the cards and flowers and chocolate- I never get those! It's because it's the one day of the years everyone LOVES each other! I tell all of my friends I love them on a daily basis, but I do have those few, squirmy friends that I usually get the "uh-huh" response back from. Sigh. -But Valentines is the day that everyone is a little more giving of their love.

Anyway, back to my point. I have always loved Valentines Day, even when I was single! I had a pair of red and white checked polyester pants that I paired with a red t-shirt and wore every year in high school. Sadly, outgrew them, (damn that freshman 15!) and was forced to give them back to goodwill. I walked around all day handing out Simpsons Cards and balloons. I really love this day, guys. Seriously.

I hope that whether you are married, single, divorced, single parent, dating or grieving, that your Valentines Day is superb! Here are a few ways I think Valentines Day would be well spent, for anyone! Enjoy!

1. Dedicate a tree to the person you love! http://www.woodlandtrust.org/ (located in England, I believe,) is a great place to find out more information. The cost was in pounds, but you can get one to ten trees for anywhere between 15 and 60 pounds! I think that's pretty good! It's also a great way to show that person who is "going green" that you are paying attention to their priorities!

2. Name a star after someone. The International Star registry can be found at http://www.starregistry.com/ . Star prices start at 19.95 and whats a better way to tell someone how "far out" you think they are? You also get a certificate and a star chart to be able to locate your star in the sky. How romantic would star gazing on Valentines Day be? Pretty Nice.

3. Dealing with Grief this Valentines? Here's a thoughtful suggestion: Go and buy a Children's book on dealing with grief and dedicate it to the memory of your loved one. Then donate it to your public library. It will make you feel good that know a child is hopefully learning how to cope, you, yourself will be coping and you will have made a donation to a library. If that doesn't make you feel better, I suggest you adopt a puppy.

4. Wanna Have some fun this Valentines Day? Go see a drag show. It will be the most fabulous night of your life. Take friends and a camera, if they are allowed.

5. Get a babysitter and take a personal day on Valentines. Love yourself. A Lot.

6. If you want to go the Old Fashioned route, you can always do dinner and a movie. But spice it up a bit. Go somewhere you've never been. And for the movie, see something you BOTH want to watch. This way, if they both suck at least you'll have a funny story to tell later.

7. Send flowers to your favorite single gal. It will make her day. (just make sure you sign the card, you don't want her thinking all day that Mr. Right will be calling later to tell her about dinner reservations.)

8. Make someone elses Valentines Day. Offer to babysit for a couple with a newborn so they can get out of the house.

9. Reenact your first date. This is a great way for guys to get brownie points. Women like that you remember the details. Just make sure you get your information straight. If you do the wrong thing, she won't get it. And this would make for an uncomfortable V-Day convo.

10. (My personal fave) Have a picnic on your living room floor. It works for everyone. If you have a baby and no sitter, just wait until after bedtime. It's cost efficient, because all you will need is some cheap wine, bread, cheese and fruit. If it's a first date, then you earn points for privacy and thoughtfulness. And if you are an old married fart, (like me) then you won't care what you do as long as you are spending time with someone special.

LOVE,

Heather

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...